Get Help Now

Call or email for a confidential consultation

Temporary PFA Orders in Pittsburgh

Temporary Protection from Abuse (PFA) Orders can give you the time you need to move forward with your life before engaging in a full PFA hearing.

When domestic abuse is taking place, a person may decide to petition for a Protection from Abuse (PFA) order to protect themselves and their children. According to the Protection from Abuse Act, a PFA order prevents the abuser from making contact with the victim. This means that the accused is prohibited from visiting the victim’s workplace, school, home, or place of business. In addition, they are not allowed to contact the victim through third parties, such as friends or family members. While these orders are often effective in stopping domestic abuse, the process to obtain a final order can take time. In the meantime, Pennsylvania allows victims to obtain a temporary PFA order.

If you have would like to obtain a PFA order against an ex-spouse or family member, you may be worried about what will happen during the interim. After all, your hearing will not take place immediately, and you may not have protection during that time. Thankfully, it is possible to obtain a temporary PFA order. This order takes effect when you submit your petition and ends at the formal hearing for your civil case.

Our Pittsburgh protection order lawyers at Pittsburgh Divorce & Family Law, LLC can help you obtain a temporary PFA order, ensuring you do what is necessary to protect you or your children from immediate danger.

Call (412) 471-5100 today to see how the safety of you and your loved ones can be put first.


Why Obtain a Temporary PFA Order?

If you wish to obtain a Protection from Abuse order, the first step is filing a petition with the court. Immediately after the petition is processed, the person you have accused of domestic violence will be notified that a hearing will take place. You may be asking yourself: what if hearing about the civil case enrages my abuser even more? What if they retaliate against me once they find out that I am accusing them of domestic abuse? Thankfully, it is possible to obtain a temporary PFA order.

Beyond fearing for your own safety, you may want to obtain a temporary PFA order to push back the hearing for your case. Turn around on civil cases of domestic abuse is quick, and you may not be able to attend a hearing just 10 short days after you file your petition. In this case, you may want to request multiple temporary PFA orders. Doing this will push back the hearing date until your temporary order expires. This may be necessary if you need to move to a new location or make other life changes that take time. More time might also be helpful for finding legal representation and gathering evidence.

Understanding the Process

Once you file a petition requesting a Protection from Abuse order, it will be sent into the court system for analysis. A judge will examine your petition and look for things that might indicate that you need protection sooner than the date of your hearing. If it is determined that you or your children are in immediate danger, they may sign a temporary order. As previously mentioned, this order offers protection from the time the petition is submitted to the date of the hearing. If the hearing is pushed back for any reason, it may be possible to obtain additional temporary protection orders.

Let Anthony Piccirilli Fight for Your Interests

If you are planning on filing a petition for a PFA order, it is essential that you seek legal representation. When the time comes for you to attend your court hearing, you will be required to make your case. You will have to demonstrate why you or your children are in need of protection. That can often come down to a “he-said-she-said” situation. Our Pittsburgh protection order lawyers at Pittsburgh Divorce & Family Law, LLC can be of tremendous help in this area. Attorney Anthony Piccirilli can help prepare you for your court hearing, ensuring you present the evidence necessary to show that domestic abuse is taking place. Call (412) 471-5100 to see how you can end this nightmare and move on with your life.