Get Help Now

Call or email for a confidential consultation

Protection from Abuse (PFA) Orders for Children

Children who are in abusive situations may need the help of a trusted adult to obtain a Protection from Abuse (PFA) Order.

Domestic abuse of any kind is unacceptable, especially when minor children are victimized. According to the Protection from Abuse (PFA) Act, both adults and children may obtain a Protection from Abuse order as long as they are the victims of some form of domestic abuse.

If you are a minor who has experienced domestic violence of any kind, you are likely worried about what could happen if you pursue a PFA order. Perhaps the assailant will be provoked and attempt to commit additional acts of violence, or maybe they will simply ignore the rules put forth by a court order. The Pittsburgh protection order lawyers at Pittsburgh Divorce & Family Law, LLC have years of experience helping people obtain the protection they need. With huge fines and time behind bars listed as punishments for violating a protection order, PFAs are largely effective.

Call (412) 471-5100 to see how Anthony Piccirilli can help you move on with your life.


Obtaining a PFA Order

In order to qualify for protection under the Protection from Abuse Act, the abuser must be a family member, a sexual or romantic partner, or a household member. Abuse or intimidation that is committed at the hands of a stranger or anyone other than a family or household member must be pursued through the Protection from Sexual Violence and Intimidation Act.

In many ways, obtaining a protection order follows the same process for both minors and adults. However, if you are a minor, you need an adult to obtain the order on your behalf. Once you have gained the help of a parent, family member, or other trusted adult, they must fill out a petition and submit it to the court. This petition will contain information related the abuser, yourself, and the types of domestic violence being committed. Once this document has been submitted to the court, a hearing will be scheduled within 10 days.

You must attend a hearing with the adult that filed your petition on your behalf. You and your caretaker will be responsible for presenting evidence to show that domestic violence is taking place. If the judge is sufficiently convinced that you need protection, they will sign the order, finalizing it in the eyes of the law. In many cases, a judge will issue a no contact order. This means that the accused will not be able to contact you at home, work, or school. In addition, they will be restricted from contacting you through third parties, such as siblings or friends.

How Visitation and Custody are Affected

For any parent that has a PFA order entered against them on behalf of a child, they will lose all visitation and custody rights until the protection order is modified or terminated. In most cases, a PFA order lasts for up to three years, making it a nearly permanent solution. It is also possible to renew this PFA order. A protective order of this kind is not limited to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Any parent that has been stripped of their rights as the result of a domestic abuse accusation will not have parental rights in any state. They will also be prohibited from contacting their child, regardless of their location in the United States.

Let Anthony Piccirilli Fight for Your Rights

Considering taking legal action against a family or household member can be a terrifying experience for an individual under the age of 18. In many cases, the person they are trying to avoid is a parent or another close family member. However, if you are the victim of any type of domestic violence, you need to put your safety first.

Our Pittsburgh protection order lawyers at Pittsburgh Divorce & Family Law, LLC know how difficult these situations can be. Attorney Anthony Piccirilli will stand by you every step of the way, ensuring you present the evidence necessary for obtaining the protection you need. He will also help you to understand the legal processes and strategies involved in your civil case. Do not be taken advantage of by those who wish to do you harm. Call (412) 471-5100 to see how your interests can be protected.