Get Help Now

Call or email for a confidential consultation

Protection from Intimidation

Children who are being harassed or intimidated by adults deserve the safety of a Protection from Intimidation (PFI) Order.

According to Pennsylvania law, The Protection from Sexual Violence and Intimidation Act was designed to protect both children and adults from intimidation and sexual abuse. However, according to the law, the person being accused of intimidation cannot be a family member or a current or former spouse of the victim. Those petitions must be sought through a Protection from Abuse Order. If you have been abused, stalked or harassed, you may be worried that this pattern will continue. This kind of treatment can lead to physical, mental, and emotional health issues, not to mention insecurity related to your own safety. Fortunately, there is legal action that can be taken against those who have subjected you to intimidation.

Our Pittsburgh protection order lawyers at Pittsburgh Divorce & Family Law, LLC understand how difficult these situations can be. You may be afraid that the assailant will retaliate, or perhaps you believe that they will simply ignore a judge’s orders. However, you should know that Protection from Intimidation (PFI) orders are powerful. The law will harshly punish anyone who does not follow the conditions set forth by a court of law.

Call (412) 471-5100 now to see how you can protect your safety and regain your freedom.


Understanding Protection from Intimidation (PFI) Orders

Under the Protection from Sexual Violence and Intimidation Act, there are two types of protective orders that fall under protection from intimidation (PFI). The first is referred to as a Sexual Violence Protective Order and it can be sought by both children and adults. In essence, it acts to protect the person or individual from all types of sexual violence and any other form of abuse. A PFI order, on the other hand, is only meant to protect minor children who are under the age of 18.

In most cases, a Protection from Intimidation order will protect a child from intimidation, harassment, stalking, or other types of violence committed by an adult. They prevent the offender from entering a victim’s residence, work area, school, or business. They also forbid third party contact. Unfortunately, these orders are limited. For example, a PFI order cannot be filed against certain individuals, such as:

  • The victim’s parent or offspring
  • The spouse or ex-spouse of the victim
  • Any biological relative of the victim
  • Any person who is related to the victim by marriage
  • An individual who is or was a sexual partner of the victim
  • A whole or half sibling of the victim

How to Get a PFI Order

When a person feels intimidated by an assailant, they may choose to file for a Protection from Intimidation order. Thankfully, the process for obtaining one of these orders considers the importance of protecting a victim’s safety. In most situations, obtaining one of these orders requires that a victim file a petition at a local court clerk’s office. From there, a hearing will take place within 10 days of the petition being filed. If the petition is approved, a protective order will be immediately issued regardless of whether or not the assailant is present at the hearing. Once an order is obtained, it can remain in place for up to three years.

Let Pittsburgh Divorce & Family Law, LLC Protect Your Safety

Whether you are an adult or a minor under the age of 18, any form of intimidation can wreak havoc on your life. Perhaps it has caused severe anxiety, or maybe you are afraid that the abuse could land you in the hospital. Whatever the case may be, it is essential to fight for your rights. Our Pittsburgh protection order lawyers at Pittsburgh Divorce & Family Law, LLC can guide you through every step of the legal process, ensuring you present the evidence that will lead to a protective order being issued. With legal assistance, it may also be possible to later pursue criminal charges against the person who subjected you to intimidation or abuse. Call (412) 471-5100 today to see how you can get your life back.