Get Help Now

Call or email for a confidential consultation

How to Get More Visitation Time with My Child

Published: Nov 10, 2019 in Uncategorized
Child with parental visitation

Written by Anthony Piccirilli

Nothing is more important than your child. If your custody and visitation plan doesn’t feel fair or doesn’t allow you the amount of contact you need with your child, visitation schedules can be changed. It’s important to ask for a modification if you need a change.

When you’re facing a custody and visitation case, you need an experienced lawyer who can guide your case to the best possible resolution and ensure you get the most time with your child. Pittsburgh Divorce & Family Law, LLC has exceptional lawyers ready to work with you. Call us now at (412) 471-5100 or our online contact form for a fast appointment.

Maximize Your Current Visitation

The first thing to do if you want more visitation time with your child is to use all the time you’ve currently been given under your current order. Be sure to be there every time, on time, and keep your child the full length of the scheduled visit. Never miss a day or be late. It can also be a good idea to make yourself available to the other parent for babysitting whenever they need child care, which will get you extra time. Using all of your time will show the court that visitation is important to you and is a big part of your child’s life. It will also show that you are an important and dependable part of your child’s life.

Come to An Agreement

In Pennsylvania, custody and visitation orders can be modified if both parties agree to make a change. If you and the other parent can agree on ways to expand your time with your child, you are free to do so. Be sure to discuss details, including specific dates, pick up and drop off times, as well as how you will handle holidays and vacations. It can help to map the plan out on a calendar so you can both see what it looks like and have a clear understanding of dates and times.

Once you’ve come to an agreement, it’s important that you put it in writing, with all the details, so that there can be no misunderstanding. You both need to sign the agreement. This agreement can then be submitted to the court by your lawyer and your custody and visitation order will be updated to reflect the new terms.

Seek a Court-Ordered Modification

If you and the other parent can’t reach an agreement on your own about changing your custody and visitation agreement, you can ask the court to do so. Your lawyer will help you file a petition for modification. Pennsylvania courts make decisions about custody and visitation based on what is in the best interests of the children, so it’s important to have some reasoning for why a change in the schedule would benefit your child. Your lawyer can help you with this.

Filing papers often lets the other parent know you are serious and you may be able to reach a settlement on your own at this point. If you and the other parent can’t come to an agreement once you file court papers, you will have a hearing where the judge will consider both points of view, as well as any evidence and witnesses presented. The judge then makes a decision and issues an order with your new visitation schedule.

Pittsburgh Divorce & Family Law, LLC Can Help

Altering your custody and visitation plan to allow you more time with your child will benefit both you and your child. Because your child is so important to you, it’s essential to you work with an attorney who is well-versed in Pennsylvania family law. The dedicated lawyers at Pittsburgh Divorce & Family Law, LLC take the time to understand all the details of your case and get the result you need. Call our office at (412) 471-5100 or our online contact form today.